- About Us
- Shopping Cart
Buck Boost Transformers
Advantages of using buck boost transformers with a rotary phase converters (or other application) over an equivalent standard isolation transformer are numerous: used in a variety of applications, inexpensive, smaller, lighter, more efficient, and offer 5-10 times increase in kVA. The disadvantages are that there is no circuit isolation, cannot create a neutral, KVA and voltages do not match what's on the nameplate kVA and voltages.
Click any of the following for Buck Boost Transformer Prices:
Sizing Single Phase Buck Boost Transformers for Three Phase Loads:
- Determine the voltage that you want to buck (decrease) or boost (increase) by measuring the supply line voltage.
- Determine the voltage at which your equipment is designed to operate - usually listed on the nameplate.
- Determine load kVA or load Amps (not both). The sum of all the equipment that represents the load can usually be found on the nameplate of the load equipment.
- The supply frequency MUST match the load equipment (50 or 60Hz).
- Choose the transformer closest to the load kVA or load Amps, always round up to the next higher rating.
- The phase of the supply and the load should be the same. A single phase buck boost transformer may be installed between the utility supply line and the phase converter, when necessary to correct voltage.
Buck Boost transformers are used to raise supply voltage caused by line drop or equipment demand on the distribution system. Buck boost transformers are also used to lower voltage due to adjustments in the supply line. Uncorrected changes in the supply line voltage can cause equipment failure. Buck Boost Transformers can be used with a phase converter when the single-phase utility supply voltage needs to be raised or lowered to meet the requirements of a 3-phase application.
- Ratings from 50VA to 5000VA
- Three standard voltage groups: 120/240-12/24, 120/240-16/32, and 240/480-24/48
- 50/60Hz frequency
- Encapsulated core & coils in a combination silica sand and resin compound
- Designed with a heavy duty NEMA Type 3R enclosure (Optional NEMA 4, 4X and 12 enclosures available upon request)
- Insulation system: 130 C° (80 C° rise) for 50-1000 VA; 180 C°(115 C° rise) for 1500-5000 VA
- Single-phase and three-phase configurations available
- UL listed - File: E50394
- CSA certified - File: LR3902
- 10 Year Warranty
- Custom sizes, ratings and styles available upon request
- Single-phase, welded core construction made with high quality, high permeability silicon steel laminations. Computer designed coils, accurately wound from high quality copper magnetic wire.
- All units from 50VA to kVA are encapsulated with electrical grade silica sand and resin compounds.
- Enclosure type: Heavy Duty NEMA Type 3R (optional NEMA 4, 4X, and 12 available)
- Enclosure finish: ANSI 61 GREY, UL50
- Termination: Front accessible separate high and low voltage lead wires or copper tabs.
- Conduit Knock-Outs: Side and read standard on all units.
- Mounting: Standard Wall Mounting